This is a church with a lot of history the church was rebuilt in 1792 but dates back to circa 1140 when a church was first recorded on this site. The only part of the medieval structure to survive is the Tower, which largely rebuilt in the late 15th century but incorporating earlier features. Around the parapet are five shields, those facing north carry the arms of the Aston and Erdeswicke families, two of the others have the initials WS and RW, and the fifth is also armorial, but the family has not been identified. On the east face of the tower the roof line of the old church is clearly visible. One of the trustees for the rebuilding died soon after the work commenced, his initials and date 1792 appear on the most westerly of the window cills on the north side. In the belfry hangs one of the church's most interesting possessions, the oldest dated bell in Staffordshire, and the seventh oldest in the country, it was cast by John of Colsale in 1409. and is one of only two medieval English bells to carry both a date and its founder's name. The other two bells here are dated 1670 and 1735, all three were retuned and rehung in 1977, and can now only be chimed.
The oldest item in the body of the church is the 13th century font, but part of its decoration has been chipped off, possibly at the Reformation. On the north wall is a memorial to George Vernon, a member of an old Milwich family who died in 1818. His gravestone in Colchester is no longer to be found, so probably befell the same fate as several others there which were used by the parish clerk in the 1830's as paving stones in his garden!
The gallery was added in 1837 and the three charity boards on the south wall were painted in 1899.
The east window contains the oldest glass in the church, but it only dates from 1888. The eagle lecturn was given in 1904 by William Garle who had been a churchwarden for 40 years. He was also steward of Stafford Weslyan Methodist circuit for some years, an unusual combination of offices.
At the front of the church is an ancient parish chest, and the church possesses a pre-reformation silver paten, a chalice of 1638 and a salver of 1682. The registers commence in 1573, and are now with other parish papers at the County Record Office Stafford. In 1594 is recorded the burial of "John, God sent him".
Garshall Green Methodist Chapel was closed at the end of 1981 and since then All Saints has had a combined Anglican/Methodist congregation. A kneeler commemorating this fact can be seen on the prayer desk just in front of the Sanctuary steps. The portable fonts from Garshall Green and Hilderstone Methodist Chapels are both used in the Church font for Baptisms.
In the Milwich Parish Survey of 2010, All Saints Church was considered "important" to the community by the majority of parishioners, as a building, place of worship and for major life events such as Baptisms, Funerals and Weddings. It is recognised for its friendly welcome and engaging style. We hope you can join us.